Monday, November 22, 2010

A November of thankfulness... day twenty-one

As I sit here, Sunday evening, thinking about my day and what I'm thankful for, I really just want to rant about what drives me crazy.  Don't get me wrong... lots of good things happened today.  For instance...

... it was another beautiful November day in Oklahoma with the temperature hovering around 70 degrees.

... Rodney and I sang with Annie on praise team today at church -just like old times.

... we completed our responsibilities of the Christmas decorating at the church with an awesome handpicked group of helpers.  We put up eight Christmas trees and trimmed five of them with ornaments.  I'm thankful that I let the others work and didn't feel the need to "fix" what they contributed.  The perfectionist in me is very tired and it feels good to just let it be sometimes.  It really does look fabulous.  No complaints here.  The guys set up the huge nativity scene and carried the boxes to and from the attic.  Many hands make light work.

... we laughed and ate and played the train game (Ticket to Ride) tonight with P & K.

... I was able to visit with friends at church this morning that I've really missed lately.  Not being around on Wednesday evenings really takes me out of the loop.  I don't regret it though.  I miss the people, but I'm enjoying the break from the leadership position... I don't miss leading them.


After expressing all the gratitude, the irritable seems more tolerable when during my brainstorming about this writing exercise tonight, I was thinking how trivial the praises for today were.  I completely took them for granted, but how frustated I would have been if there been snags in the weather or the decorating. 

I am just so thankful that there is more to my life and my faith than going to church on Sunday mornings.  My God goes with me everywhere, everyday.  (So does yours regardless if you choose to acknowledge him or not.)  Grace was a word being thrown around a lot this morning in church.  I'm so thankful for God's grace, but I'm not very good at extending it sometimes.  I just pray that I don't project an air of self-rightousness especially when I'm pitying the shallow or the narrow-minded or the inward focused or the selfish people in my life.  I just believe with all my being that Jesus had more in store for us than what we allow for in our lives, me included. 

No comments:

Post a Comment