Monday, November 15, 2010

A November of thankfulness... day fourteen

Today was semi-productive around our house.  Rodney and I carried the Christmas tree out of the shed and into the house. I left it up last year because I had room in my storage shed to leave it put together.  This week I'll fluff the branches and adjust the lights so we can decorate it later this week. We, meaning everyone, picked at the housework a nibble at a time today, too.  Tomorrow I've got to get it finished and get my house back.  My floors haven't been swept in a month- since I hosted my bunco group in October... and I need to catch up on the laundry again.  The bathroom could use a scrubbing, too.  We had a few extra kids around but hardly noticed because they were so well behaved.... made them work, too.  Hey, we fed them, didn't we?  Lol.  Twice, actually. 

I'm thankful for getting stuff done and well behaved children... mine and other people's.

Today I heard about a terrible accident that injured 6 and killed 5 motorcyclists in Southern California yesterday.  Senseless, actually.  I mention this because two of those killed were directly related to Bert, a man [a good man] Rodney and I have worked with for years at the elevator.  One was his daughter and another was her husband.  They've left behind two boys... orphans now.  Amy was two years younger than me in school.  It just breaks my heart and scares me a little.  It doesn't matter how safe you are, you still have to factor in the other guy on the road.  My family has started riding motorcycles in recent years.  I know we are safe drivers, but it still freezes my blood for an instant every time we take out for the ride to think about the what ifs and possible danger and tragedy that could happen during this ride, this day.

I'm thankful for the safety my family has experienced on the roads during our past motorcycle rides while my heart is extremely heavy for Bert and the rest of his family.

Rodney and I have talked about this before.  We try to live our lives in such a way that if something were to happen to us today that there would be no "unfinished business".  Those who we love immensely... they know it.  We live it each day.  Our friends who are closest to us... they know the joy we feel when we spend a moment with them.... be it a brief conversation or an entire day.  We live with no regrets.  No secrets.  No unfinished business.  The words that would flow from me on my deathbed, if given the chance, would be nothing new to my loved ones.  That's the way it should be, I believe.  Live in the present.  Use your good dishes.  Laugh a lot. Wear your red dress.  Be content with yourself.  Appreciate each day and learn to love unconditionally.  That's all there is... all that really matters...  besides the obvious... Jesus.

Today I am thankful for unconditional love, contentment, and peace that passes all understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment