Thursday, November 11, 2010

A November of thankfulness... day eleven, Veteran's Day

I am so amazed at the ease of having something to say for this blog everyday.  Actually I feel like I'm really working hard to keep it a short, yet meaningful read. 

Today being Veteran's Day brings forth a whole new set of feelings of thankfulness but also a serious frustration at how we treat them.  It's almost like Mother's Day or Father's Day for me... those are two of my least favorite days of the year for some reason, and if I had a veteran or a soldier close to me, I would loathe Veteran's Day, too.  The gratitude and appreciation we have (or should have and show) for these people-vets, soldiers, and parents- should not need a day set aside for them.  It should be a daily way of life.  Just like worship and time with the Lord shouldn't be set aside for Sunday mornings in a church building.  You're probably thinking I don't like being told what to do or I don't like to conform, but really what gripes me is that those who make such a big deal about these days are the worst offenders of disrespect (non-respect) every other day of the year.  Veteran's Day just makes me sad to think of the treatment of these men and women who serve/served our country in the military receive from our countrymen and our government.  It's just not enough.  And all the token words (forcefully, because after all, we've set a day aside for this) given one time a year are empty and worthless.

All that being said, I am very thankful for the soldiers and veterans... regardless of how I feel about war and our government's involvment in it.  I just feel helpless when I see and read about the struggles they are going through.

Today, I am also thankful for...

... the rain pounding my window waking me up this morning.  Music to my ears.  I hope the weatherman is correct and more comes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment