Monday, November 15, 2010

a November of thankfulness... day fifteen

I am thankful that I still have the abiltiy to be spontaneous enough to shock the pants off Rodney and my girls.... Saturday I made vegetable soup and put green beans in it.  You see, I hate green beans and I don't cook with them... ever.  It was pretty funny to listen to the soup drama play out here one by one as each family member dipped his/her own soup at varying times.  It was truly musical listening to their delight and disbelief.

I'm thankful for times in the car- just Regan and me.  Tonight she shared her hurts and her wins with me.  She made me laugh until my ribs hurt with her "win" stories.  I have to share one of the win stories with you... a girlfriend was noticing Regan was deep in thought- it was about something that has affected her recently.  She asked Regan about it and Regan told her that she was reflecting on something someone had told her.  After telling her story, Regan asked her if she knew who told her that...  her friend said that she didn't.  Regan said, "My mom told me that last year."  Her friend said, "Wow!  She's pretty smart."  Without a missing a beat Regan said, "Yeah, your mom is, too, if you'd just listen to her."  Exit mad friend.  Hours later the friend asked Regan if she was serious about what she said earlier [about the friend and friend's mom].  Regan said yes she was and started to gently tell her friend about her relationship with her mom and how it could be much better if she'd listen to her mom and gave her specific examples of what she knew about their relationship.  Her friend protested that Regan didn't listen to her mom and Regan said... (you're gonna love this)... "I have been this year and I like her a lot better this year."  She had me in stitches. But the best part is that it's true.  She has been listening and I like her much better, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment