Friday, June 27, 2014

a weekend near Davis

Katy Trail- between Dougherty and Falls Creek
Rodney decided to take a short trip with each of his daughters on his motorcycle this summer.  Rodney took Regan to the Turner Falls area, and the rest of us decided to tag along in my car... separately.  It worked out really well because Rosalind and Rayne were going to Falls Creek Church Camp just a few miles from our cabin the following Monday, so the three of us stayed an extra night and I dropped them off. 




We stayed at a place call Rock Creek Retreat.  It was really neat and peaceful and private.  The cabin was called Copper Cabana and suited the 5 of us really well.  Rodney and Regan rode lots of miles in beautiful foliage on winding county roads while the rest of us read, a lot.  It was so nice.  Rodney and Regan left on Sunday afternoon for home to get back for work on Monday, and the campers and I stayed.



Rosalind and Rayne on Bromide Hill overlooking Sulfur

Rosalind, Rayne and I rode up to Sulfur and visited the springs at the Chickasaw National Park.  We walked a lengthy trail and drove up to Bromide Hill.  After supper we returned to our cabin.  The next morning we lounged around before leaving.  We drove into Davis and around Turner Falls.  We didn't enter the park because it was pretty expensive- $12 per person plus $12 for the car.  We decided to take pictures from the free lookout instead. 


This marker was up at the lookout, near Turner Falls




Cash register at the soda fountain
We ate lunch downtown Davis in a neat little bistro that served quiche.  Happy girls were we!  Across the street was a drug store that had a soda fountain in it.  Twenty ounce milkshakes for $3.  What a bargain!  Soon it was time to drop the girls off at camp.  It was chaos.  Organized chaos, but chaos nevertheless.  Falls Creek is set up for 8000 students per week for 6 weeks a summer; it functions like a well oiled machine.


Driving home after a weekend full of family was a little different.  When I-35 got too congested, I cut through the country, driving down roads I had never been on before.  It was also then I noticed I had quiet a few bites; however, it wasn't until I got home that I realized that I was covered in them.  Chiggers.  Ugh.


I literally looked like I had the chicken pox because they weren't just around my feet... they were spaced from by ankles to my shoulders.  About 70 of them.  All of us ended up with them.  The girls didn't suffer as much and Rodney and I did.  Rodney had about 35 on his ankle in the space of 2x2 inches.  And the crazy thing is that none of us ever got into any grass, foliage, etc.  None.  And the only place we were all together was at the cabin besides eating out.


I still look like I'm recovering from the chicken pox, but I'm not sleeping with ice packs anymore, so I have decided that I just might live.  Chiggers suck.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous trip except for chiggers, which I loathe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats what I love, about blogging I get to see places around the world that I would never have seen otherwise, great photo's

    ReplyDelete