Thursday, April 9, 2020

Maundy Thursday... Day 27 of being homebound

I've been in a bit of a funk today.  It's day 27 of being basically homebound.  Oh sure, I had a few appointments and trips to school, but nothing all day or very recent.  I have been to Regan and Hayden's a couple of times.  School is going just fine.  We're in a routine and still thankful to see each other on Zoom each morning.  I miss my kids in my classroom so much.  The weather has been a roller coaster too.  Record breaking highs to predictions of snow for next week.  I'm not used to being home for days on end when it's not warm outside.  I have been in the yard or on the porch whenever it's warm enough... for me, that is.  I'm thankful for Rayne's and Rosalind's presence around the house since Rodney is an essential employee and is going to work every day.  Actually all of my girls are essential, working in hospitals, nursing homes, and private homes.  Outside of the girls' college classes, I'm the only one greatly affected by being constantly homebound. 

I think my funk is from the heaviness of Holy Week.  Today is Maundy Thursday.  Jesus shares the Passover meal with his disciples in the upper room and prepares them for what's to come.  They cannot comprehend just yet, but Jesus told them of the coming of the Holy Spirit and his new role in their lives.  John spends Chapters 13-14-15-16-17 in his Gospel, explaining everything Jesus told them that night.  Jesus' prayers in Chapter 17 are so humbling.

Jesus prayed:
Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You, as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him.  And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.  I have glorified You on earth.  I have finished the work which You have given Me to do.  And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

It is finished.  He completed what He came to do and set everything into motion that would have me here, today, knowing, loving, and serving Him in western Oklahoma in 2020.  Some years, Holy Week's Thursday-Friday-Saturday aren't as heavy because I have been too busy to mindfully prepare myself.  Thanks to COVID-19, I have had ample time to meditate on it this year, which is the silver lining to this homebound situation.

I'm looking forward to this weekend but not so much next week.  I'm ready to have my normal life back, not that it's a lot different than it is right now because I'm a homebody anyway.  I'm not afraid of the virus; I'm sick of the power it has given the governments and world officials to alter our lives.  I'll leave this piece with Jesus' words:  These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment