Thursday, June 27, 2013

Knocking out a few items on my "to do" list...

     Summer vacation is exactly half over.  This saddens me as I love my summers, and my self-made honey-do-it-myself-list is not half finished.  And we have two other very large projects looming that aren't on the "list", too.  But, you know what?  That's okay.  Let me show you what I've been up to since pictures are so much more interesting than my rambling words...


 Rodney finally tore out the ugly Spirea bushes that just never looked good in the 7 1/2 years we've lived here, leaving the ugly rusted propane tank exposed.

  The family worked hard one Sunday and installed metal edging & thick black plastic and scooped pea gravel from the swing set box.  Soon I painted the tank,  and then Rodney dug holes for me and I planted Photina bushes.  No, they are not spaced evenly... the middle one had to move to the left a bit because there's a concrete slab buried about 8 inches in the dirt that ends in the center of where it should be placed.  Not to worry... the bushes will fill in and it will be hardly noticeable in a few short years.



      
         I hosted my bunco group this month- so that means I also cleaned my house.  Top to bottom, basically by myself... I fired our maids. I already have a new service hired for the school year.  I also recovered and painted my card table and chairs.  Yes, I'm a Pinterest addict.  It looks fabulous, I agree, but it was some kind of work.  Whew.  Who knew?  My bunco girls were like, "I'll bring my old brown one to you so you can do mine..." and I'm like, "No, you can't afford me."  Really, they need to do it themselves.... it'll be fun.  The fun part is picking out the material and paint.  Beyond that it feels something like work.
  

                I also hung my mantle over my fireplace and shopped for décor to go with it.  I rearranged my bookshelves, too.  I'm very pleased with my hearth. 

 I'm in the process of painting my eves and facia boards.  I don't know what kind of drugs I was taking last year when I thought I wanted red eves, but I don't.  They're horrible.  Brown is much, much better.  (So, if you need barn red paint, I have 4 gallons...)  One side of the house is done, three more to go.  If the wind would quit blowing for days on end, I might get finished. 
*I know, it's not even blowing 10 mph right now...  shhhh.
 
    They dug a fire pit and we've roasted many marshmallows on it this month.  We've also burned boxes and boxes of old tax papers in it.  Dual purpose... enjoyment and knocking another item off my list.  (I need to paint those doors on that shed... it's on my list; maybe I should paint them barn red... hmmm)
 
    One evening when Rodney and I were burning the contents of 2001 and 2002, he remarked how quickly everything came back to him about that moment in time... things he had forgotten, and now it's gone.  A year relived in about 10 minutes and then gone forever other than our memories.... 
*I really thought he was an elephant... I didn't know he ever forgot ANYTHING.


                                              Ah, May brought the joy-less-ness of pulling rye.  But here's a tiny speck of joy... actually five of them that I found in the wheat fields one day.

   Here's another view of my mantle... and my new print of
Regan and her guitar.  I love it.
 
Maybe I'll get so much more done before school starts that I can share another picture blog.  I have a few half done projects waiting... maybe you'll get to see them at completion.
 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent. y you have been busy! I have too, but don't have nearly as much to show for it. The tank looks marvelous and I know the bushes will do well. The barn red paint? Well if you don't end up using it on the barn, I have a shed that needs it.

    ReplyDelete