Monday, April 11, 2011

Music makes my heart happy...

Have you ever been listening to a song- a familiar song- and out of nowhere a line in it just smacks you in, well, the ears, and you’re thinking Why have I never heard that before? or Absolutely! I completely understand what they’re saying. I’ve been there several times. Too many to count, actually. It’s like that one lyric sums up everything you’ve been going through… puts it to words for you in one neat little package.

A couple years ago I was really struggling with something. I was listening to my iPod and heard this… “I need your grace to remind me to find my own.” And I melted into a puddle on the kitchen floor. The song was very familiar to me… I’d heard it hundreds of times but never listened too much past the chorus. My husband had been handling the issue I was struggling with so much better than I had, and his example led me to do the same and get past the problem as well. In essence, I found my own grace and began to extend it, and the problem dissipated. Song:Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol.

Most of the time I feel pretty confident in my skills, my knowledge, my ability to be objective, but some days I just feel worthless. I feel like I have nothing to offer. I feel like a jack-of-all-trades but master of nothing. I feel like no one needs me. I don’t have many days like this, but I do have one occasionally. Then I’m listening to my iPod and I hear “Sometimes I believe that I can do anything. Yet, other times I think I’ve got nothing good to bring.” Exactly! That’s exactly how I feel. In my head, I know better. I do. But some days it’s just too much to believe. Song: Free to be Me by Francesca Battistelli. 

I love music- all kinds. Music is like “a symphony, all around me, running through me.” (Switchfoot’s Your Love is a Song) I love the mystery of it, the simplicity of it, the complexity of it. I love it when it‘s silly and when it’s serious… when it’s subtle and when it’s in your face. Most of all I love the music that reflects a little piece of who I am or where I’ve come from or where I’m going. Just yesterday I was laughing about David Frizzell’s I’m Gonna Hire a Wino to Decorate our Home… one of the latest additions to my iPod. It’s where I come from… I remember listening to this in the bars in my small, one-horse hometown with my grandparents and great grandparents in the afternoons when I was a child. [In Minnesota, of course, out of the Bible belt, where children were actually allowed in bars] To me, these were good times. Carefree. It makes me smile... …even if I did think they were going to hire a rhino.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks. You made me smile at this. Your childhood was certainly different than mine. My mom got embarassed when we sang: "I'm an acorn small and brown, laying on the cold cold ground. no one wants to pick me up, cause I'm such a little nut." we didn't understand why for years and years. In fact, after I was married, my husband had to tell me which slang words not to use because I hadn't heard most of them.
    I love music too, but only in little bits. Then I just have to turn it off because I'm one of those odd people who loves absolute quiet as well.

    ReplyDelete