Saturday, May 29, 2010

More hurdles (part 3)

I know me.  I cannot cheat or it will become a habit (like after 2x).  I am very strict with my elimination diet.  However, I am terrible at replacing these eliminated foods with healthy, wholesome foods.  I pretty much replaced all my dairy with soy or rice and replaced all my wheat with corn.  I eat a lot of sugar and corn syrup in things like pop, jello & cool whip, snacks... just to name a few.  I love fresh produce, especially out of the garden, but I hate the waste when it isn't used timely.  I love my family eating well, but I hate cooking.  I try to make plenty for leftovers, but it rarely stretches into two complete meals, so to help out I let my family eat the seconds while I drink a pop and eat chips and salsa instead (or something like that).  Over time the sugar and corn overload has caused problems for me as well.  My last trip to Doc, he started talking about Rheumatoid arthritis.  I wanted to cry.  He told me changing my diet could fix it.  Here we go again.... He said to eliminate corn, wheat, dairy, and soy.  Oh, and cut pop and sugar, too.... and all oils but olive oil- no fried foods.  Remember, I'm resilient and resourceful, so I just stopped at the grocery store on the way home and picked up things I could eat.  I remember reading something long ago about tomatoes and arthritis so I decided to eliminate tomato products, too.  In the grocery store I was just walking the aisles pushing my basket with my swollen fingers and wrists gathering fresh greens, frozen and fresh fruits and items to make smoothies and salads.  I remember getting to the point where I was looking at all the items on the shelves and thinking to myself, "This is poison.   It's all poison to my body."  Almost everything processed and packaged has corn, tomato, gluten or whey in it.  Nothing is easy anymore. 

I saw huge change in that first day already.  By the second day, my health was back but the arthritis remained.  A week later, I'm discouraged that the arthritis is still present but feeling so much better.  Knowing that I didn't get here overnight and that it won't go away overnight isn't much consolation.  I want my grasp and my hands to work like the strong woman that I am.  This is very humbling and irritating.  I'm too young for this disabling state.  I don't like asking my daughters to open my water bottles or turn the key in the ignition for me or my friends to carry things for me.  It's a good thing that I don't have too much pride to ask for help... I have always seen it as a strength to ask for help when in need.  Let others be a blessing.  It's good for everyone.

A month later, I'm learning more and more about foods that inflame and foods that suppress inflammation.  I've studied up on the nutritional supplements that help fight inflammation, too.  It's such a process- that of knowing your health and keeping yourself healthy (and your family, too).  I've come to accept this for now and I do what I can.  The mornings are the worst!  I hurt so badly I can barely get dressed.  Today, I had Rayne tie my shoes.  Other days I've had help hooking my bra.  Getting moving and staying busy is the best medicine along with nutritional supplements and eating correctly.  I'm open for advice on arthritis therapies and nutritional choices and encouragement.   What I miss the most right now is wearing my wedding ring.  I have four fingers that are heavily affected  and swell and my ring finger is one of them.  I haven't share this with very many people- no one likes to listen to someone else's health woes.  This too shall pass... I whole-heartily am believing this right now.

2 comments:

  1. Ok. I guess I missed the post previous to this that explained the diet. I'll have to send the link to my sister. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, girl. I don't know exactly how you feel, but have walked in similar shoes. I live in pain 24/7 and cannot function wholey just yet. Soy, ALL grains, nightshade and possibly casein can be an issue for you right now. If you need help with cooking ideas, me and Laura can probably help you. I cook absolutely all our meals from scratch and have learned a few helpful things. Dr Osborne has much to say about inflammation. Rheumatoid arthritis is a secondary diagnosis. The real issue, as you already know, is getting your intestines healed and not triggering them anymore with contaminated foods. If you need anything, let me know how I can be of help. Sadly, there are many of us in this same journey right now. Jer 29:11

    ReplyDelete